Tuesday 20 March 2012

Tally for Tuesday: +87

Mostly GOLD today again, but I did enter a trade in USD/MXN and EUR/USD. As explained in the previous post, the USD/MXN trade was suppose to exit when it reached 30 points (reached over 300 points last I looked), but the EA didn't recognize how many digits the market presented. So, I ended up losing 37 points with that trade. In addition there was a GOLD trade that resulted in a good TakeProfit, but the trailing 2 bar low/high did not work as well, and closed out with -150 points.

The -150 point trade was not an entire loss as one might think. Since this was the trailing 2 Bar Low/High portion of my trade, I only make (or in this case lost) 30% of my total order. The other 70% is the TakeProfit, which did well (+36 points). So, lets say I made it so that 1 point will give me $1, then for this trade I made $25.20 with the TakeProfit (70% of 36), and only lost $45.00 with the Trialing 2 Bar Low/High (30% of 150). If I relied just on the Trailing 2 Bar Low/High I would have lost $150, instead of $19.80 ($45 - $25.20) i did lose.

If I applied the same $1 per point with 70% for TakeProfit and 30% for Trailing 2 Bar Low/High, I would have made $69.40 (the collected profit from all 6 trades made today). If I made every trade with a $1/point and not divide them up, I would have made $87.00. But that option would apply way more risk to my trades, were as the divide method reduced my risk considerably while still giving me a profit close to the high risk option.